Saturday, June 13, 2009

abid•ing \ə-ˈbī-diŋ\

Someone asked me the other day why I had chosen "Abiding Ways" as the name for the ministry.

After a few moments of thought, I explained that my nature is to always have a goal to work toward-and long ago this awkward, old-fashioned word popped out at me while reading my "life verse" John 15:4. At the time, all I had was a King James version. I realized that this was my personal goal as a Christian. To ABIDE in Christ as He commanded.

As I grew in the Lord, I discovered that the word used in the original language was μένω and that the richness of the word was so much more than what I had thought - and consequently not just a means to an end, but a lifetime pursuit.

Today, I am still working toward that goal, and the greater goal which Paul described in Philippians 3:14: I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus. (NASB).

This week has been an especially challenging one for me. I ask for prayer for my son, Eric. The Lord knows the circumstances.

Below are a few references for the intellectually inclined that have directed me along the way.


abid•ing
\ə-ˈbī-diŋ\
adj

14c
: enduring,
continuing 〈an
abiding interest in nature〉
(Merriam-Webster, I. (2003). Merriam-Webster's collegiate dictionary. (Eleventh ed.). Springfield, Mass.: Merriam-Webster, Inc.)


3306 μένω [meno /men·o/] v. A root word; TDNT 4:574; TDNTA 581; GK 3531; 120
occurrences; AV translates as “abide” 61 times, “remain” 16 times, “dwell” 15
times, “continue” 11 times, “tarry” nine times, “endure” three times, and
translated miscellaneously five times. 1 to remain, abide. 1a in reference to
place. 1a1 to sojourn, tarry. 1a2 not to depart. 1a2a to continue to be present.
1a2b to be held, kept, continually. 1b in reference to time. 1b1 to continue to
be, not to perish, to last, endure. 1b1a of persons, to survive, live. 1c in
reference to state or condition. 1c1 to remain as one, not to become another or
different. 2 to wait for, await one.
(from Enhanced Strong's Lexicon (1966))


No comments:

Post a Comment