Saturday, December 31, 2011

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!


Philippians 3:13–14

HAPPY NEW YEAR everyone!   I don’t know about you, but I am glad this particular year is ending and a fresh new one is about to begin. (About 8 hours (EST) for me!)

In my family, listening to friends, and praying with others at Church Online, it is readily apparent that I’m not the only one who is glad to say farewell to 2011. It has indeed been a hard year for so many of us!

My 2011 started out OK. I was working as an “at home” tech support person.  Not my favorite thing to do.  It also called for making a lot of changes, and at my age, change does not come as easy as it once did. Nevertheless, it put a good kind of change in my pocket.

In March I became ill and eventually had to quit the job.  While seeking the cause and later, going through treatment I lost over 30 lbs. My glucose also took a very positive downward turn and, on the “bummer” side, I picked up/re-adopted a few bad habits.  My health is greatly improved as is my appetite-and I’ve since gained back all but 10 lbs. I  also have a TV addiction that was a comfort when I was sick but is now where I turn instead of doing the things I should, would, and could do. (Paul expresses my dilemma in Romans 7:15)

All that being said, as we enter into this new year, I am taking the advice that Paul gave in Philippians 3:13–14 … and forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead.

For me that includes quitting smoking.  I begin this journey on January 6, 2012 and hope to blog about this adventure on Fridays.  I have committed to a “partial TV fast” for the next 21 days in concert with others from Church Online team and leadership.  This isn’t the easiest for me as my beloved hubby is in the business and much of our lives revolve around television.  It’s also a prime part of how we connect and spend quality time together.

I’ve got lots of “need to do’s” and “want to do’s” mapped out for the coming year-including getting healthy.  More than just going on a diet, it means consistent exercise and accepting that it doesn’t happen over night.  The more difficult part is deciding which are valid and which are just wishful thinking.

This brings me to my “One Word” theme for the year.  I haven’t yet made a choice between CONSISTENT  or ACCEPTANCE.  I may even take on double duty and choose both! As the year progresses, I hope to write a bit more about these two here at "Along the Way".  I can't wait to see where our Lord is going to take me!

One last look behind before forgetting: This past year, most of all, has taught me that I am never alone.  I am most thankful for all of you who have been there for me; my husband for his support, my family for their concern, my Church Online family for their prayers, and God for His ever-present help and love.  Now let’s all get out there and STRAIN FORWARD!

BRING IT ON 2012!

No comments:

Post a Comment