Friday, March 11, 2011

Weird This Way

As you are likely well aware, the huge disaster in Japan has been described as "apocalyptic". If you haven't seen the video coming out of this horror I really gotta wonder where YOU are J

In times like this I have been known to have imaginary conversations with God….ok…so maybe they are more like prayers but a lot more free-flowing. Of course the first question is "Why Lord? What purpose is there in this? All the devastation and loss of life makes no logical sense to me!" I also consider what my beloved unbeliever might say… "Where is your God now? If He's so benevolent, and all powerful, why did He let this happen?" Naturally, me being one ol' gal in the USA I really have no answers. I don't know truly what to say.

During these conversations snippets of scripture often also comes to mind. Mostly I think about my Lord's return—especially when there's an earthquake involved. (Matthew 24:1-35 , Mark 13:3-31 , Luke 21:7-36) and my thoughts wander to what else is going on in our country and the world right now. The turmoil in Libya (and the people rising up in Egypt and Tunisia), the financial crisis that continues here in the US and around the world (and the dominance of "corporate power i.e. the rich are getting richer and the poor poorer), the divisiveness that is found in our own democracy with the continued bickering of our law makers.

And then I MUST get back to some of the basic promises God has made to those of us who chose to follow Him…

I will never leave you or forsake you-Deut. 31:6 ; Heb. 13:5
He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. – Mt. 5:45
…and my personal favorite when I'm having a crisis of faith, which is part of what this imaginary conversation is really about "Where were you (Donna) when I laid the earth's foundation (Job 38:4)

All that being said, and so much more as He answers and comforts me, is what its all about really. Trusting, believing and acting in faith – sometimes even as I cry tears of sorrow or frustration or anger. And then I go where David said my God, my Good Shepherd leads. (Psalm 23:1-6 and if you don't know this one at least a little…check it out!)

No comments:

Post a Comment